Emily’s Entrance

Happy Sunday! So glad y’all are back for another Birth Blog! I missed y’all last week!! For those of you who don’t know yet, last week I was off finishing up my training to become a Newborn Care Specialist! I am so giddy about that new beginning and look forward to sharing it with each of you!

~now onto the important stuff~

This week on the blog we have sweet mama Chelsea telling us about her sweet babe Emily and the whirlwind of an entrance she made into the world!

February 11, 2018 (39 weeks + 4) – At this point, my husband & I had been miserably sick for 5 or 6 days. I am sure he had the flu & I was fighting some terrible respiratory sickness. I had spent the past 2 weeks hoping she would come already, but on this day, I so hoped she would wait – we both needed more rest.


7:00 p.m. I needed something sweet – and something with chocolate. On top of being sick, my back had been killing me (I have a herniated disc). I was sure the dessert would help me feel better.


9:30 p.m. My husband and I head up to bed. I make my rounds and kiss each pup goodnight – but before I hop into bed, I have a horrible cramping sensation. I head to the restroom and the sensation seems to dissipate. These cramps were very common for my pregnancy as I have always had tummy problems.


10:30 p.m.  After trying to fall asleep for what seems like eternity; I am almost asleep and the cramping starts again. Irritated that I was woken up; I use the restroom one more time and head back to bed.


10:40 p.m. The cramps are back! My eyes pop open & I begin to start my contraction timer.


10:50 p.m. Another one! My husband and I had taken birthing classes and so many of the women had suggested, “Now, don’t wake your husband if it happens in the night. Let him sleep!” Well, guys, I couldn’t contain my excitement. I woke him up shortly after this contraction. His first response “Well, why don’t you try and get some rest!” Oh, love my sweet husband, but there was no way any sort of sleeping was going to happen at this point. Emotions flooded my body. I was so excited, but also not sure that this was the real thing. I hadn’t had any false contractions or really any contractions before this, “was it real?”


February 12, 2018


Contractions continued to get stronger and stronger. We timed each one. By 1:30 a.m. my contractions were anywhere from 3 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart, to even 7 minutes apart. I even had one or two contractions 1 minute apart. They were so inconsistent we were unsure when to go to the hospital. I was sure I was being a wuss and was in no way going to give birth soon – so, we waited another 30 minutes before loading the car.


As we were loading the car, and by no means hurrying at all, I decided to use the restroom one last time, only to find out I was bleeding. I do not remember anyone mentioning blood at this stage in labor. I went to panic mode in 3.5 seconds. We finished loading the car as quickly as possible and headed off to the hospital. My husband ran every red light – we arrived 4 minutes later.


I walk into the hospital, barefoot & tears running down my cheeks. I just wanted someone to tell me this was normal and my baby was going to be okay. We checked into triage (never make a woman in labor fill our her own paperwork – just take her back and figure it out later). There seems to be no urgency from any of the nurses – no one seemed worried that I was bleeding. Within minutes I have a monitor hooked up to me and baby – she’s fine & come to find out, I am bleeding because my cervix is expanding – totally normal! They proceed to check my cervix. I am at 6CM and officially in labor! My husband was given the all clear to notify our friends and family.


3:20 a.m.  We have made it to our labor and delivery room. My husband and I knew to ask right away for a tub if I wanted to use one. The process to fill it with water, takes forever. We also knew to ask for the wireless monitor, so I could enjoy the tub without being hooked up. As I waited for the tub, I labored on the toilet – it was the only position that seemed comfortable. My mother stopped in shortly after arriving to our labor & delivery room, but within 20 minutes or so, it was clear I was progressing quickly and she left so it was just my husband & I.


The rest of the morning is a complete blur. I have no concept of time.


Probably 4:30 a.m. – Contractions were coming so quick & my tub was finally ready – but I was too hot to think of sitting in hot water. I felt terrible for having the nurses fill it, but there was no way I could sit still in hot water. I paced around the room in-between contractions and would sit on the toilet during each one. I finally asked for the nurses to check my cervix again – 7CM. “7CM? What? I was in too much pain to only be at 7!”


I believe I had two more strong contractions & my water broke sitting on the toilet. This is when I started to struggle. Contractions were coming so quick- one of top of the other. I remember starting to cry and telling my husband, “I don’t want to do this anymore!” I should have known I was in transition. I had taken classes and read so many labor books & blogs. It was almost over. Each contraction hurt more than the last. Finally, I was feeling the urge to push – I had the nurses check me AGAIN – but I couldn’t sit on the bed because I was in so much pain, they had to check me standing up – 9CM! They told me not to push – but it hurt so bad to not push. I urged them to call for the doctor and get this thing going. Within 10 minutes I was at 10CM and ready to push! THANK GOD!!


I hopped onto the bed. I sat on my knees facing the back of the bed –  I was sure this would be the most comfortable and logical way to give birth – gravity was on my side. I sat the first two contractions out. I wasn’t mentally ready to start pushing. I pushed through two contractions in this position to realize I wasn’t going to give birth like this. I turned to face the end of the bed and had the nurses install the bar to hold onto – I was now in a squat position and felt so much better about pushing. After 2 or 3 good pushes, I was too tired to continue this way and finally sat back on my butt – each nurse grabbing a leg. Within minutes, my little Emily was born at5:39 a.m. 6 lbs. 14 oz and 19.5” long! My hope for an unmedicated birth had come true!!


WHAT A STORY! I think Chelsea is one amazing mama and it was a joy to have her on the blog! Follow along with Emily’s growing up through Chelsea’s mama blog @chelsboxrud on instagram! Or at http://www.chelsea-Boxrud.com 💕

And like always be sure to subscribe and comment below if you loved what you read and stay tuned for the next blog on Sunday!!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: